Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Gardening is much needed... Mother's Day idea...

I look around my yard and am overwhelmed with the amount of yard work and gardening that I need to do. The front yard is still all torn up from the remodel and I had hopes to having in shape already, oh well. At least my transplanted Peonies are up and looking good so far. I was worried that they would be a casualty. I have made a list of all of the projects and tasks that I want to get accomplished this summer and I feel better. I have even managed to get out there a little bit here and there, keeping a close eye bursts of rain and hail. Gardening is very cathartic for me and is something that I love to share with the kids. Each year for Mother's Day the kids and I go to the nursery and pick out plants for the hanging baskets and flower pots. Then we come home and plant everything together. They love to have a say in the flowers that we pick out and getting their hands dirty is fun! This is one of my most enjoyable days of the entire year. They also help me weed and get the garden ready for planting each year. Of course their most favorite is planting the seeds and not quite so much the weeding. We do the watering in the evenings and they help with that also. Then their favorite time comes to pick the fruit and veggies. This is usually dinner and usually doesn't make it into the house for me to cook. But all of this is great for them to see how hard of work it is to grow our food and they learn to work together and are able to enjoy the "fruits" of their labors with one another. Do you have any great stories of things that you do with your kids?

1 comment:

Lisa said...

You are such a wonderful mommy. I love watching you with your kids. xoxo