Wednesday, October 27, 2010

high expectations

“High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation.” ~ Charles F. Kettering

After talking and thinking over last night PTA meeting I realize that this is part of the issue. And it may be hard to always achieve but it also is the best place to be.

I can't speak for other parents but Mike & I do have very high expectations of our kids' teachers and of our kids themselves. I think that if you have high expectations for your kids, and they believe you think that they can reach them, they will try to do just that. For my kids and teachers alike. There will always be times when I am disappointed in the outcome of this but there are more times when my expectations are exceeded. And that, I think, is a great thing!!

I love to see my kids proud of themselves for what they may have just accomplished. I love to listen to them tell me the story of how they did it. Giving them goals to reach for and teaching them how to do that I think is a good life lesson.

And I think this also goes for the teachers. Seeing low scores was a shock. Wait a second here, how did this happen?? Back the truck up. Where are we? Did my kid score low or will my kid score low? Does my kid have what they need to score higher?

Last night some of our teachers took the time to come to the PTA meeting and explain how things are being improved and what is being added to the curriculum. Although I am still a bit fuzzy on a few points but I do appreciate them coming and working with the parents to try to make themselves better teachers, make our kids better students and to score higher on the MSP this year and help me be a more vigilant parent.

Education is a shared commitment between dedicated teachers, motivated students and enthusiastic parents with high expectations. ~ Bob Beauprez

No comments: